BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Health
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Background Briefings 
Medical notes 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Sunday, 27 August, 2000, 01:04 GMT 02:04 UK
Tongue removal for 'misdiagnosed' man
Steve Harley
Steve Harley first reported symptoms in July 1999
Exclusive by BBC News Online's Ray Dunne

A man whose cancer was missed by doctors 19 times is to undergo surgery to have his tongue and voice box removed in an effort to save his life.

Father-of-three Steve Harley, 41, is suffering from oral cancer and his chances of survival are low.

Mr Harley, a businessman from Barnsley in South Yorkshire, first developed throat pains in July 1999.

He said he reported the pains to his GP who told him that it was probably an infection. He was sent home with antibiotics.

However, it failed to clear up and Mr Harley visited the GP on seven further occasions. Each time he was told that nothing could be found to be wrong.

He says he was not sent for further investigations or tests despite reporting symptoms that suggested that something was seriously wrong.


If this had been picked up earlier, perhaps it could have been treated with minor surgery

Steve Harley, Barnsley

Mr Harley had a persistent and agonising earache in addition to the earlier sore throat.

He eventually saw four different GPs, five hospital doctors and three specialists.

He made repeated trips to accident and emergency departments to request stronger painkillers.

He says that doctors believed he was simply seeking attention.

The cancer was eventually spotted after Mr Harley lost two stones in weight - the tumour was beginning to block his throat.

Cancer: the facts
He began an intensive seven week course of radiotherapy in June.

"I don't think the radiotherapy worked," he told BBC News Online.

Mr Harley now faces major surgery to have his tongue and voice box removed. His chances of survival are low.

"I am going into hospital next week for a MRI scan. The doctors have said I will probably undergo surgery within the next two weeks.

"They will remove my tongue. My tongue and my voice will be lost."

Mr Harley is already suffering problems with his speech.

Legal action

He and his family are considering taking legal action against the doctors who failed to identify the cancer at an earlier stage. Alternatively, they may make a formal complaint to the General Medical Council.

"We are investigating it," he said.

"I am not particularly happy, to be honest. If this had been picked up earlier, perhaps it could have been treated with minor surgery. They could have sorted it out. Instead, I have to have surgery."

Oral cancers can initially have the appearance of ulcers or other normal mouth problems.

If such problems fail to clear up by themselves or respond to treatment, doctors are advised to be suspicious and refer for further tests.

Oral cancer is one of the more dangerous cancers, as only one in two people survive.

Early diagnosis improves survival chances.

Approximately 3,400 people are diagnosed with the disease every year in the UK.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

11 May 00 | Health
Cancer 'missed 19 times'
15 May 00 | Health
Cancer cases missed by doctors
11 May 00 | Health
'No apology' to throat cancer man
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Health stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Health stories