BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 25 August, 2000, 16:21 GMT 17:21 UK
Suharto summons served
Suharto
Suharto's lawyers say he is not fit to stand trial
Indonesian prosecutors say they have served a written court summons to the family of former President Suharto demanding that he attend the opening of his corruption trial next week.

The papers were handed to the family and Mr Suharto's legal team by Muchtar Arifin, the chief prosecutor handling the Suharto case.


How can Suharto answer questions from the judges if he can't understand them?

Mohammad Assegaf, Suharto defence lawyer
"They gave a good response. Basically I don't think there is any problem," the prosecutor told reporters outside the former leader's home.

However, Mr Suharto's lawyers said they still doubt whether the their client will be in a fit enough state to travel to court as he has suffered a series of strokes in the past year.

They say the strokes have left the ageing former leader unable to comprehend questions or to remember details.

Suharto supporters
Supporters of Mr Suharto say he made "a tremendous contribution" to Indonesia's development
"How can Suharto answer questions from the judges if he can't understand them?" asked lawyer Mohammad Assegaf, adding that his client's condition meant that he could not be held accountable for what he says.

The former president has been charged with using a network of charities under his control to siphonoff more than $570m in state funds during his 32 years in power.

Charges denied

Mr Suharto has denied any wrongdoing and says he will gladly return any cash that prosecutors can prove was illegally obtained.

Another of Mr Suharto's lawyers, Juan Felix Tampubolon, said the former president could understand that he had been summoned to court, but not the details of the charges.

He said his client "can only understand simple things".

Asked by reporters on Friday what action might be taken if Mr Suharto failed to show up for the trial's opening, prosecutor Muchtar Arifin hinted that it was possible there could be a postponement.

"If you are summoned by the court, of course you have to appear. But it depends on his condition ... we'll see how it goes," he said.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

24 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Protesters stage pro-Suharto rally
23 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Date set for Suharto trial
21 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Suharto 'has $45bn' hidden away
21 Jul 00 | Asia-Pacific
Suharto assets seized
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories