BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 25 August, 2000, 12:47 GMT 13:47 UK
Jolo ransom mystery deepens
Jeffrey Jinnul, a suspected Abu Sayyaf rebel
Arrested rebel suspect Jeffrey Jinnul steps out of his cell
There are fears that rebels in the Philippines could call off plans to free a number of hostages after police arrested two men carrying $240,000 believed to be part of a ransom payment.

Three hostages were freed at the weekend
Three Malaysian hostages were freed last week
The pair were detained as they tried to convert the cash into local currency at a bank in the southern town of Zamboanga.

Police believe the men - said to be a security guard and a soldier absent without leave - were working for the Abu Sayyaf group responsible for kidnapping 21 people from a Malaysian island in April.

The military says the rebels have been paid more than $5.5m for a number of releases so far despite the Philippine Government's official no-ransom policy.

Releases

Government negotiator Farouk Hussain told the French AFP news agency that the arrests could complicate negotiations for the release of the remaining hostages.

Reports said Abu Sayyaf leader Ghalib Andang had earlier agreed to free his captives in batches, although no dates have been given.

But an official close to the negotiations was quoted as saying Mr Andang had now told a go-between there would be no releases unless the two arrested men were freed.

However chief government negotiator Robert Aventajado said the arrests would not affect arrangements.

Kidnappings

The Abu Sayyaf is one of two groups fighting for an independent Islamic state in the predominantly Catholic Philippines.

The hostages were kidnapped on 23 April from the Malaysian diving resort of Sidapan and taken to Jolo by boat.

Since then the rebels have carried out a series of further kidnappings on Jolo.

So far they have released 11 captives from the Sidapan group and a number of other hostages.

Philippine President Joseph Estrada insisted on Friday the government had not paid ransoms.

He suggested the intercepted money could have come from private or foreign sources.

The remaining hostages include five French, two Germans, two Finns, two South Africans a Franco-Lebanese woman and around 17 Filipinos.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
New Jolo hostage plan
20 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Three Jolo hostages fly home
07 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Jolo rebels 'paid $5.5m ransom'
02 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Swordsmen of God at war
01 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Hostage drama highlights bitter conflict
02 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Jolo rebels 'demand $21m'
02 May 00 | World
Analysis: How hostages cope
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories