| You are in: UK: Scotland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 25 August, 2000, 21:54 GMT 22:54 UK
Parents call for organs inquiry
![]() Yorkhill is Glasgow's main hospital for sick children
Parents of babies whose organs were removed and kept by a Glasgow hospital are calling for an independent public inquiry.
The parents of children who died at Yorkhill Hospital in Glasgow have met for the first time. They hope to persuade Scottish Health Minister Susan Deacon to set up a full public inquiry. The unauthorised removal of baby organs at Glasgow's main hospital for sick children came to light following a similar situation in England. A public inquiry into Bristol Royal Infirmary earlier this year revealed organ retention was common practice up and down the country.
That statement followed the controversy surrounding a Liverpool hospital which had stored babies' organs for up to 30 years. The trust which runs Yorkhill said its practices had been modified in recent years, but had always been in line with other hospitals in the United Kingdom. A number of parents whose children died at Yorkhill gathered for the first time on Thursday night. Geraldine MacDonald, who was told after Christmas that her son Martin's brain and heart had been taken from him and kept at Yorkhill, is campaigning for a full public inquiry. Supported 'needed' She said: "You're worst nightmare was your baby's death. This is the second worst nightmare because you are living it again. "They need support. All the parents out there need support. There are so many hospitals where this is going on. "They are not really coming up front and telling what is going on."
Every one of his organs, including his brain, had been removed without her consent. She said: "I felt then that was him. He was at peace, he was out of suffering. "He didn't have a choice whether he wanted to give any of his organs. "There's been quite a lot of mixed feelings. Quite a lot of anger, then being upset and just bringing it all back." No explanation All the parents at the meeting have received letters from the hospital saying their babies' organs had been taken without their consent. They say none of them have been told the reasons why the organs were taken. In some cases their children's hearts and brains have been sitting in a hospital laboratory, in some cases for as long as 18 years. They will call for a full and independent public inquiry when they meet Ms Deacon next week. That call has been backed by Liberal Democrat health spkeswoman Nora Radcliffe, who said it was "essential" that there was a thorough investigation.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|