BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



BBC NI Health Correspondent, Dot Kirby
Eileen Graham's case is not unusual according to the RVH
 real 56k

Thursday, 24 August, 2000, 21:53 GMT 22:53 UK
Pensioner awaits broken leg treatment

Eileen Graham waits for an operation for her broken leg
A 76-year-old woman with a broken leg has been waiting four days for an operation to fix it.

Despite an expert recommendation that no-one should wait any longer than 24 hours for such treatment, Eileen Graham has been laid up for 100 hours in Craigavon Hospital.

Mrs Graham is waiting for a bed to become available at Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital so she can get the necessary treatment.

Since then she has been given regular doses of painkillers.

"I think I should have been away by now down to the Royal."

She said it could be very painful when she went to move in the bed.

A spokesperson for the RVH said there was nothing unusual about Mrs Graham's case.

According to the hospital, other people were ahead of her in the waiting list and she would be treated as soon as a bed became available.

Two weeks ago the RVH were taking in patients straight away - but there had been almost double the normal number of people joining the waiting list over the weekend, it was confirmed.

Crisis

The hospital said they needed more surgeons - and more beds.

Mrs Graham's wait has angered some politicians.

"We're in a crisis again in the month of August," said Cllr Vincent Currie.

"Worse still, what are they going to do this winter, if they're short of beds in the month of August, what are they going to do this winter season."

According to the Department of Health, a number of surgeons had been appointed since a crisis in orthopaedics in the province 18 months ago.

But a spokesman admitted it had not been enough and added it would be years before others could be trained to meet the shortfall.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

31 Jul 00 | Northern Ireland
Campaigners lose hospital battle
27 Jan 00 | Northern Ireland
Maternity decision 'not political'
20 Jan 00 | Northern Ireland
Committee makes maternity decision
19 Jan 00 | Northern Ireland
Maternity hospitals fight for survival
01 Feb 00 | Northern Ireland
Assembly rejects minister's decision
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories