| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Thursday, 24 August, 2000, 17:06 GMT 18:06 UK
Captain who tried to save his son
![]() The Kursk crew in a photo taken last year
Nobody could accuse Captain Vladimir Geletin of not trying his best when he helped co-ordinate Russia's rescue efforts in the Kursk tragedy.
After all, he had a vested interest - his own son Boris, a 25-year-old lieutenant, was on board the sunken submarine.
In a news conference in Murmansk on Wednesday, he defended the rescue efforts, laying the blame squarely on Russia's impoverished military. "This is hard for me to talk about, but I wanted to," he said in a shaking voice and clenching his fists. "Why? Because my honour as an officer and my memory of my son compel me to." Father's efforts "We did everything we could, everything," said the captain, who also suffered the loss last month of his two-year-old grandson - Boris's son.
He added the fleet needed better rescue units. Russia's attempts to dock rescue capsules, hampered by strong currents and poor visibility, were unsuccessful. Deep-sea divers, which the navy does not have, arrived from Norway and managed to open the escape hatch, but found the submarine flooded and the crew dead. Navy did not lie Captain Geletin also hit back at accusations that the navy had been misleading. "The fleet command always told the truth," he said, adding that initially, no-one knew what had happened.
He insisted that they had heard tapping, but admitted it may not have been produced by the sailors on board the sunken submarine. "You can be mistaken about... whether they were human or mechanical noises. We really wanted it to be so - that they were still alive," he said. Never lost hope
"Only after the official announcement did I say, 'My son has perished'," he said. Captain Geletin was clear where the blame lay for the crisis. "You all know the reason very well - the fleet has many problems, like the whole military, like the whole country," he said. He said he had one question for President Vladimir Putin. "Are we waiting in vain for funding for the armed services?" |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|