| You are in: UK | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 24 August, 2000, 10:43 GMT 11:43 UK
BNFL case adjourned
The case against British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL) for alleged breaches of safety at Sellafield has been adjourned until 5 October.
BNFL was ordered to improve its handling of sealed radioactive sources at the complex last year. But the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) alleges the state-owned company failed to to carry out suitable tests to detect radioactive leakage from one of the sources. Operators at the plant also stand accused of failing to account for and keep records of the quantity and location of four other sources and failing to account for another source.
Search resumes for missing father The search is resuming for a father feared drowned after trying to save his seven-year-old son from a lagoon. The child was rescued from the waters of the Blue Lagoon beauty spot near Blackburn, Lancashire, on Wednesday shortly before 1400BST. Three teenagers walking in the vicinity joined the boy's father in the water. They managed to drag the child to safety. He was taken, suffering hypothermia and shock, to the Royal Bolton Hospital in Greater Manchester.
Ticket tout 'could face jail' A man could face up to five years in jail if he is caught touting tube tickets on the London Underground again, council officials have revealed. Lambeth Council said 41-year-old Stavros Anastasi was the first person to receive an anti-social behaviour order banning him from selling tickets to passengers for his own profit. Mr Anastasi has already received a number of £10 to £15 fines for touting at his local station in Brixton, but if caught again in the next two years he could be jailed under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. A Lambeth Council spokesman said: "It's not fair that people using public transport should be obstructed and harassed. We intend to tackle anti-social behaviour using all the enforcement powers at our disposal."
Gas alert prompts evacuation More than 100 people have been evacuated from their homes after workmen fractured a gas pipe in the Bishopston area of Swansea. Police confirmed that 102 residents were asked to leave their homes when the accident was discovered at around 1600BST on Tuesday. South Wales Police cordoned off the area while engineers worked to repair the damage. Anyone anxious about the whereabouts of friends or relatives can ring a police helpline on 01792 450618.
|
Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|