BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 24 August, 2000, 10:49 GMT 11:49 UK
Militants killed in Kashmir
Indian soldiers in Kashmir
The Indian army has launched a major anti-militancy drive
At least eight suspected militants have been killed in separate incidents of violence in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir.

They occurred last night in three different parts of the border district of Poonch, about 250 km north of Jammu.

The police said in one incident a group of militants opened fire on a police team, leading to an exchange of gunfire that lasted for about an hour.

Kashmir map
Three policemen are reported to have been wounded in the shooting that lasted an hour.

One report says the militants were from the Jaish-e-Mohammad (Army of Mohammad) - a group launched recently by Muslim cleric Masood Azhar.

Mr Azhar was released from an Indian prison in exchange for hostages on board a hijacked Indian airliner last December.

In another exchange of gunfire, the security forces killed two suspected militants, also in Poonch.

A large cache of arms and ammunition is said to have been seized, including rockets, grenades and explosives.

Tough stand

The security forces have described the killings as an important turning point in their latest anti-militancy drive.

It was launched after the Indian army lost five of its officers earlier this week.

India's Home Minister, LK Advani, said India will be firm while dealing with violence in Kashmir.

"We cannot win this war by adopting the policy of weakness and surrender," a government statement quoted Mr Advani as saying.

India blames Pakistan for fomenting militant violence in Kashmir, a charge that has been consistently denied.

Earlier this month a leading separatist group, Hizbul Mujahideen, offered and then withdrew a ceasefire.

The Hizbul Mujahideen broke off peace talks over a refusal by India to include Pakistan in tripartite talks.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Aug 00 | South Asia
Kashmir peace hopes raised
22 Aug 00 | South Asia
Soldiers killed in Kashmir blast
16 Aug 00 | South Asia
Kashmir flares up again
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories