BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's James Coomarasamy in Murmansk
Some will lay wreaths, others will remain behind refusing to believe their loved ones have died
 real 56k

Julian Thomson, salvage company Stolt Offshore
"It is the first time that three navies have ever worked together on the project"
 real 56k

Thursday, 24 August, 2000, 13:17 GMT 14:17 UK
Criminal probe into Kursk disaster
Memorial service
Families gather at an emotional memorial ceremony
Russian state prosecutors are opening a criminal investigation into the Kursk nuclear submarine tragedy, which claimed the lives of all 118 sailors on board.


It would have been very difficult for us to continue if the information had not improved

Norwegian military spokesman
About 150 bereaved relatives held an emotional memorial ceremony in the Barents Sea on Thursday - lowering flowers into the waters where the Kursk sank on 12 August.

Wreaths were also laid on behalf of President Vladimir Putin, the Russian Government and the navy, local media reported.

In another development, the Norwegian military said rescue efforts were hampered by poor information from the Russians.

Criminal probe

In Moscow, Prosecutor General Vladimir Ustinov said the criminal inquiry was not being launched under any specific criminal statute, Interfax news agency said.

map showing submarine's location
He said the appropriate statute would be determined once the cause of the accident was established.

President Putin has said that anyone found responsible for the disaster will be punished - but only after the investigation.

The president has refused resignation offers from the defence minister, navy chief and the commander of the Northern Fleet, saying he did not want a scapegoat.

On Wednesday, Mr Putin said on national television that he felt responsible and guilty for the disaster.

"Words are not enough, they are difficult to find," he said. "I want to wail."

But he added: "I don't like talk saying that the dignity of the state sank with the Kursk... Our country has lived through much more.

"Together we will restore the army, the fleet and the state."

Anger is still rife over the government's handling of the disaster and its initial refusal to accept international help.

Memorial stone

Earlier on Thursday in Vidyayevo, where the Kursk began its last mission, a ceremony was held where a foundation stone was laid in memory of the victims.

Memorial ceremony
One woman was overcome by grief at the ceremony
A large crowd of relatives, many weeping, listened as Vice-Admiral Vladimir Dobroskuchenko gave a speech.

One woman fainted and had to be helped by medical workers standing by.

Relatives had refused to join the country's national day of mourning on Wednesday, saying they could not grieve until the bodies of the crew were recovered from the seabed.

Experts have warned that this could take many months.

One expert said it may be easier to raise the entire wreck than retrieve the corpses.

Rescue problems

The Norwegian military says early information provided by the Russians was so bad that they even questioned whether they could proceed with their rescue mission, fearing it would endanger the deep-sea divers involved.

"It would have been very difficult for us to continue if the information had not improved," said Colonel John Espen Lien, spokesman for the Norwegian Supreme Defence Command.

Relatives visit a twin sub
Relatives visited a twin sub in the town of Vidyayevo
"It took unnecessary time."

Mr Lien said the problem was caused by lower ranking officers, unsure how much they could reveal to Britain and Norway - both Nato countries.

However, the problem was immediately resolved when it was taken to the commander of Russia's Northern Fleet, Admiral Vyacheslav Popov.

Mr Lien said some of the information given was also incorrect. This included assessments of damage to the escape hatch.

"The Russians never explained what happened," he said.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

24 Aug 00 | Europe
Angry Kursk relative drugged
23 Aug 00 | Europe
Reforming Russia's military
23 Aug 00 | Media reports
Sombre media continues to question
23 Aug 00 | Media reports
The crew of the Kursk
22 Aug 00 | Europe
Kursk's final hours
22 Aug 00 | Scotland
Kursk bodies recovery planned
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories