| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 24 August, 2000, 06:50 GMT 07:50 UK
No survivors from Gulf Air crash
![]() Rescuers worked through the night at the crash site
The Bahrain authorities say all 143 people on board a Gulf Air plane which crashed off the country's coast on Wednesday are now known to have died.
The plane, an Airbus 320, crashed about 5km (three miles) from Bahrain airport, as it was making its third attempt to land after a three-hour flight from Cairo.
"We have pulled out the bodies of the 143 people who were on board the plane," Abdul Rahman bin Rashid al-Khalifa, administration director of Bahrain's Civil Defence, told state television. Engine fire He said the plane's flight recorder had been recovered from the shallow waters of the crash site. A later report said the cockpit voice recorder had also been found. A full investigation into the disaster will commence later on Thursday.
Most of the passengers on the doomed airliner were Egyptian, Bahraini or Saudi nationals returning to the Gulf island state after summer holidays abroad. At least 30 were children under the age of 10. The crew comprised two Bahrainis, an Omani, a Filipino, a Pole, an Indian, a Moroccan and an Egyptian. Reports say that one passenger - an Egyptian - who should have been on board was turned away by Cairo passport control because his Bahraini work permit was not in order.
Explosion Weeping relatives of those on board pleaded with policemen ringing the airport outside the Bahraini capital, Manama, to be allowed access. A special flight is bringing 63 relatives from Egypt to identify the bodies. The Emir of Bahrain, Sheikh Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa, has announced that a commission will be set up to establish what brought the plane down. He also declared three days of mourning. Cairo airport officials said the plane left the Egyptian capital at 1625 local time (1325 GMT). It came down a little under three hours later.
Ahmed Hassan, an eyewitness, told the BBC that the jet veered to avoid buildings before plunging into the sea. "It U-turned and tried to land, then in 15 seconds it went sharply down into the sea and there was a huge fire," he said. He said the jet fell "sharply, like an arrow". Airbus sends team Airbus Industrie said it was sending a team of specialists to Bahrain to help in the investigation. The A320 entered service in April 1988. Wednesday's crash is its sixth major disaster. In the last fatal A320 crash, 87 people died when one of the jets came down near Strasbourg in eastern France in January 1992. Gulf Air, which has a good safety record, is jointly owned by the Gulf states of Bahrain, Oman, Qatar and Abu Dhabi.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|