| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 25 August, 2000, 06:46 GMT 07:46 UK
Arts centre reprieve hope
![]() The funding row threatens to close the centre early
An eleventh hour bid to save the Centre for Visual Arts in Cardiff is to go ahead on Friday.
Earlier trustees of the centre which is due to close in November said they feared it could be facing immediate closure. But late on Thursday the board announced it had secured a meeting with the Arts Council of Wales, to discuss funding which could offer them a vital reprieve. The trustees are asking the council for an extra £50,000 to keep the centre open until November.
Visitors to the centre have reached only a quarter of the 250,000 predicted annually. The CVA had been planning to stage the British Arts Show before closing down on 4 November. But trustee Ian Brown says that event is at risk if the arts council refuses to provide further funding. "I am extremely disappointed that the Arts Council have failed to support the Centre for Visual Arts and put at risk the British Arts Show," Mr Brown said. "This sets a very bad precedent for co-operative working between local authorities and the arts council with projects such as the Wales Millenium Centre and the (bid for) City of Culture (status)," Mr Brown added.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|