| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 23 August, 2000, 20:31 GMT 21:31 UK
Putin admits 'guilt' for sub disaster
![]() Sailors are remembering their lost colleagues
Russian President Vladimir Putin has said on state television that he feels responsible and guilty for the Kursk submarine disaster in which 118 sailors lost their lives.
Mr Putin said he had received offers of resignation from the defence minister, the navy chief and the commander of the Northern Fleet, but he had decided not to accept them.
Mr Putin was speaking after relatives of the sailors who perished on the nuclear submarine refused to recognise the national day of mourning being observed in Russia. "I bear a feeling of full responsibility and a feeling of guilt for this tragedy," the president said.
The president added: "Our country has surmounted other catastrophes. The events we are going through today are very painful. But I am absolutely convinced that events of this kind do not divide society but unite it." Mr Putin has been strongly criticised for what many Russians see as his insensitive handling of the disaster and for declining to accept international offers of help with the rescue until four days into the crisis. Ceremony cancelled The main ceremony, in which the president had been expected to throw a wreath into the waters of the Barents Sea above the wreck, was cancelled.
Correspondents say Vidyayevo is the only place in Russia where flags are not standing at half mast and candles are not being lit in memory of the crew.
Across Russia, flags have been lowered on all government buildings, and radio and television stations have replaced entertainment programmes with more sombre material. The government has announced that the families of the dead will receive an average compensation of $7,000 - equivalent to more than 10 years' wages. The Kursk rescue operation finally came to an end on Monday after a team of Norwegian and British divers forced open the submarine's rear escape hatch and found that the whole vessel was flooded. Recovery operation Experts have warned that the recovery of the bodies of the crew could take until 2001.
"In practical terms, I'd say that a lifting would be in summer next year at the earliest." He added that it would probably be easier to raise the entire wreck than retrieve corpses. The cause of the disaster is still unclear. Russian officials say they believe the submarine may have collided with a Western submarine that was in the Barents Sea to monitor a large naval exercise in which the Kursk was taking part. Western experts say the damage to the submarine appears to have been caused by a catastrophic explosion in the torpedo bay.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|