BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Peter Biles in West Timor
"Senior Indonesian officials are trying to allay fears that Jakarta has done nothing to stop the violence"
 real 56k

UNHCR's Jake Morland talks to the BBC
"It is our worst-ever attack"
 real 28k

Chris Janowski, UNHCR Geneva
"We are suspending operations as a wake-up call"
 real 28k

Thursday, 24 August, 2000, 09:21 GMT 10:21 UK
Timor refugee operations halted
East Timorese refugees
East Timorese refugees depend on UN help
The United Nations refugee agency has suspended its operations in Indonesian West Timor because of increasing violence blamed on pro-Jakarta militiamen.

The announcement comes a day after three UN officials were brutally attacked during a visit to a camp for East Timorese refugees in the territory.

Refugee camp
Thousands of East Timorese are living in camps in the West
The United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) said the militia gangs had also set up roadblocks to prevent refugees from East Timor returning home.

More than 150,000 people fled East Timor after the territory erupted in violence following last year's vote for independence for Jakarta.

But the UNHCR said on Wednesday it was halting all assistance to the refugees until a senior official had arrived and made a full assessment of the security situation.

Machetes


One staffer was beaten several times in the head...it was totally without explanation

Adelno Risi, UNHCR
The UNHCR said the latest incidents were the worst of an estimated 150 attacks on staff since its mission began in October.

Staff accused the Indonesian security forces of doing nothing to stop the violence.

In Tuesday's attack, three UN workers were set on while distributing supplies at a refugee camp about 100km (60 miles) west of the border.

pro-Indonesia militiamen
The militia remain heavily armed
UNHCR spokesman Jake Morland said gang members attacked the men with machetes and sticks.

Two escaped after being beaten and were taken to hospital.

A third was captured and taken to a nearby rice field, where the gang held his head under water. All three had suffered suspected fractures, he said.

Mr Morland said there was no doubt that pro-Jakarta militiamen were responsible for the attack.

A BBC correspondent says the attacks are part of a wider campaign of intimidation by the militia, who want to stop refugees returning to East Timor.

Indonesia recently announced plans to close the West Timor refugee camps.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

23 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Violence threatens UN's Timor mission
21 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Timor leaders look to future
14 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Indonesia to close Timor refugee camps
11 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
East Timor peacekeeper killed
17 Feb 00 | Asia-Pacific
Shadowy militias of East Timor
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories