| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 23 August, 2000, 02:30 GMT 03:30 UK
Convicted UFF leader back in jail
Adair pictured after claiming a pipe bomb exploded under his car
A convicted leader of the loyalist paramilitary group, the Ulster Freedom Fighters, has been re-arrested and returned to prison in Northern Ireland.
Johnny Adair, who was convicted of directing terrorism, was freed on licence from the high-security Maze Prison under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement last September.
His licence has been suspended by Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Mandelson, who met security chiefs to discuss the increasing violence between the province's two main loyalist paramilitary groups earlier on Tuesday. Adair has the option of asking for his case to be examined by the Sentence Review Commission, established as part of the Good Friday Agreement. It will either support the secretary of state in his decision or recommend that Adair is released. Two men were shot dead on Monday in an escalation of a dispute between the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and the Ulster Defence Association/Ulster Freedom Fighters (UDA/UFF). Jackie Coulter, a prominent member of the UDA, and Robbie Mahood, were shot while in a car on the Crumlin Road. It is understood attempts were being made to get representatives of the rival loyalist organisations to negotiate some form of truce.
Adair was re-arrested after being stopped in a car on the Protestant Shankill Road and taken to Girdwood Barracks in Belfast, before being transferred by helicopter to Maghaberry jail in County Antrim. There had been a plan to arrest him at his house in the Shankill area of Belfast, but he left before this was possible. Mr Mandelson said he took the decision to suspend Adair's licence after receiving a full report from the security forces and on the advice of police. "I have always promised that I would not hesitate to act on that advice and I shall do so again if need be," he said in a statement. "My priority is public safety and I cannot give freedom to an individual intent on abusing it. "I am satisfied that this particular individual has breached the terms of his licence. "I will not allow anyone to prejudice the interests of the whole community. The people of Belfast do not want to live under the heel of gangsters and thugs who use old-style paramilitary methods for their own ends." Five years in jail A weekend of tension between the rival loyalist paramilitaries on the Shankill Road brought soldiers back onto the streets of Belfast and prompted fresh calls for Adair to be returned to jail. Adair had appeared at protests related to the Drumcree marching dispute earlier this year, and at so-called paramilitary shows-of-strength. During the dispute he was warned by senior RUC personnel that he was being closely watched. Adair served five years of a 16-year sentence for directing UFF terrorism.
Since his release, he has met the head of the body overseeing decommissioning in the province, General John de Chastelain, as one of the UFF's intermediaries. Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary Andrew MacKay said he hoped Mr Mandelson's decision would act as a stark warning to others. Ulster Unionist MP Ken Maginnis said Adair's arrest should signal the start of a major crackdown against organised crime linked to paramilitaries in Northern Ireland. However, Billy Hutchinson of the Progressive Unionist Party, which has links with the UVF, said he now feared the loyalist feud would escalate. John White of the Ulster Democratic Party - which has links to the UDA and UFF - also said Adair's detention could "inflame the situation".
Earlier on Tuesday evening, Mr Mandelson held talks with UDP leader Gary McMichael about the loyalist feud. A spokeswoman for the Northern Ireland Office described the meeting as constructive. She said they had discussed the prospects for mediation amongst other subjects. Adair's arrest followed calls for mediation amid fears of reprisals for the two north Belfast murders.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|