| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 22 August, 2000, 16:01 GMT 17:01 UK
Putin pays tribute to sub crew
![]() Britain's Commodore David Russell remembers the dead
Russian President Vladimir Putin is visiting the headquarters of the Northern Fleet at Severomorsk to pay tribute to the 118 sailors who died on the sunken Kursk submarine.
He is expected to meet some of the bereaved families and visit the scene of the accident to lay a wreath on the waves of the Barents Sea.
On Monday, the government acknowledged that all 118 crew members on board the submarine, which sank to the bottom of the Barents Sea on 12 August, were dead. Russian and Norwegian experts have now begun a thorough examination of the wreck. The troubled nine-day rescue operation ended after Norwegian-led divers forced open the submarine's rear escape hatch and found that the whole of the vessel was flooded. Angry families Correspondents say President Putin can expect an angry reception if he meets the families of the crew.
In Murmansk, a group of relatives speaking to the BBC attacked Mr Putin's handling of the crisis, and threatened to tear Mr Putin to shreds if they saw him. Announcing the day of mourning, Mr Putin's decree spoke of his grief over the loss of the submarine's crew and offered condolences to their families and relatives. The Russian flag is to be flown at half-mast throughout the country, while television and radio stations have been asked to drop entertainment shows from their schedules. Correspondents say the announcement could be a move by the Russian president to divert some of the public criticism he and his government are facing.
His deputy Prime Minister, Ilya Klebanov, has hit back at the Russian media for its attacks on the way the disaster was handled. He said the navy had done all it could to save the crew, adding it was shocking that some journalists had tried to make cheap sensationalism out of the tragedy. Scouring the seabed A Norwegian-led team of divers is helping with the Kursk inquiry, which will initially focus on examining the seabed around the wreck.
The team has also been asked to help recover the bodies of the crew, but the company supplying the team says such an operation would be dangerous and could take weeks. One possibility being discussed is to drag the sub into shallower waters. The cause of the disaster is still unclear. But Norway's military has rejected Russian suggestions that there had been a collision. "There may have been an explosion in one of the weapons systems aboard, for example a torpedo, which then triggered a bigger explosion two minutes later," armed forces spokesman Brigadier Kjell Grandhagen said.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|