BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 22 August, 2000, 14:42 GMT 15:42 UK
Skinheads on trial for racist murder
Frank Mietbauer, Enrico Hiltricht and Christian Richter
The men told detectives their motive had been racial hatred
By Rob Broomby in Berlin

The trial of three young Germans accused of kicking to death a Mozambican man has begun in the east German city of Halle.

The three men, two aged 16 and one aged 24, are charged with attacking the 39-year-old father-of-three in a park close to his home.

It was one of the most shocking attacks in recent months and local political leaders have demanded harsh sentences.

The murder of Alberto Adriano may have shocked the community and the swift trial reflects the popular concern.

Racist slogans

Widow Angelika Adriano
Angelika Adriano's husband was murdered close to home
The three accused, all right-wing extremists, are charged with collective murder.

According to the indictment the men had been parading drunk through the streets of the east German town of Dessau, shouting neo-Nazi slogans shortly before the murder.

They told detectives their motive for the killing had been racial hatred.

For Angelika Adriano, the German widow of the victim, it was the first time she had come face to face with those accused of her husband's killing.

But the first decision of the court in Halle was to close the proceedings to the public as two of the accused are still juveniles under German law.

Full force of law

The Home Affairs minister for the state of Sachsen-Anhalt, Manfred Puechel, has demanded the toughest penalties for the accused if convicted.

"Without wanting to put the independence of the judiciary into question, the culprits must feel the full force of the law," he said in a statement.

For the two juveniles that could mean a maximum of 10 years in prison.

Enrico Hilprecht, who is 24, could spend at least 15 years in jail if convicted.

The defence asked for leniency, citing the age of two of the accused and a record of alcohol abuse, and in one case marital problems.

Alberto Adriano was attacked just 50 metres from home; he was knocked to the ground and then the attackers stamped on his head with heavy boots.

He died of brain injuries three days later.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

21 Aug 00 | Europe
Schroeder targets east-west gulf
18 Aug 00 | Europe
German neo-Nazis suspend demos
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories