BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 22 August, 2000, 13:19 GMT 14:19 UK
Mothers' plea to Milosevic
Adrian Pragnell and John Yore
Adrian Pragnell and John Yore: Held since 1 August
The mothers of the two British police officers being held in Yugoslavia on suspicion of spying have pleaded with Slobodan Milosevic to release their sons.

Adrian Pragnell, 41, and John Yore, 31, were training local police officers when they were arrested along with two Canadians and accused of possessing equipment which could be used for terrorist activities.

Noely Pragnell, of Hampshire, wrote to the Yugoslav president saying: "I appeal to your parental instincts to release him so that he can return to his family."

Although the four men appeared before the Supreme Military Court two weeks ago, they have yet to be charged with any offence.


My son is not a terrorist, merely an English policeman who was given the wonderful opportunity to volunteer to go to Kosovo

Carolyn Harrod
They were arrested in the border region between Kosovo and Montenegro, Serbia's junior partner in the Yugoslav Federation.

The Yugoslav authorities said Mr Yore and Mr Pragnell, along with Canadians Shaun Going and Liam Hall were armed and carrying explosives, and had no right to be in the border area.

Mr Yore's mother Carolyn Harrod, of Cambridgeshire, said she was devastated that her son had been arrested.

"My son is not a terrorist, merely an English policeman who was given the wonderful opportunity to volunteer to go to Kosovo and help with the training of new recruits there," she wrote.

"John is a very caring person and would never knowingly commit any act that he knew to be wrong."

Slobodan Milosevic
Slobodan Milosevic: Will receive the parents' letters
Mrs Pragnell also drew President Milosevic's attention to the fact that she had recently had an operation and had been very ill.

"I know that Adrian is worried that this situation will not help my recovery. Please let him come home soon," she wrote.

The letters were given to Yugoslavia's senior diplomat in London, Rade Drobac, during a meeting he held with the Foreign Minister Peter Hain on Tuesday.

He reiterated Britain's demand that the men are either charged with a specific offence or released immediately.

A government spokesman said: ""The men have effectively served three weeks in prison already."

Mr Hain criticised the authorities in Belgrade for not letting the men have private meetings with consular officials or their defence lawyers.

They were allowed to speak to their family by telephone once but Mr Hain said they should be given regular access to a phone so they can speak to their families on a daily basis.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

04 Aug 00 | Europe
UK protests at Montenegro arrests
06 Aug 00 | Europe
Transfer for Montenegro captives
08 Aug 00 | Europe
UK demands meeting over 'spies'
07 Aug 00 | Europe
Milosevic's campaign tactics
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories