| You are in: World: Americas | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Tuesday, 22 August, 2000, 13:39 GMT 14:39 UK
No blanket kidnap protection in Colombia
A regional governor in Colombia has admitted that the authorities cannot provide individual protection for all local officials who are at risk of being kidnapped by left-wing rebels. The governor of Caqueta province, Luis Antonio Serrano, told the BBC that they didn't have the resources, but he said security would be increased for those considered in most danger. On Saturday, James Canas, who's a town mayor in Caqueta, was seized by members of the country's biggest guerrilla group, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia , the FARC. The rebels, who say Mr Canas is guilty of extorsion and embezzlement, announced earlier this year that they would capture and punish corrupt officials. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Americas stories now:
Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Americas stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|