BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 22 August, 2000, 08:58 GMT 09:58 UK
Suharto trial 'imminent'
Suharto
Suharto's lawyers say he is too ill to stand trial
The multi-million dollar corruption trial of former Indonesian president Suharto is set to start next week, according to officials.

"We have not been informed officially but the court expects the trial to start between 28 August and 30 August," Suharto's lawyer Mohammad Assegaf told the AFP news agency.

The 79-year-old Suharto is charged with stealing $571m from the state during his 32-year rule.

Students demonstrating
Student demonstrations helped bring down Suharto
Jakarta Judge Lalu Mariyun, who will oversee the trial as part of a five-judge panel, said the date and venue would be announced on Wednesday afternoon.

But Mr Assegaf said Mr Suharto, who has suffered a stroke, should not stand trial because his memory was failing.

"It is impossible for him to stand trial. Suharto is incapable of comprehending questions and of responding to them immediately," he added.

He said Mr Suharto's presence in court would depend on his health at the time.

"So far Suharto's condition has not changed. He still has difficulty communicating verbally and his ability to remember is declining," he said.

Mr Suharto is accused of embezzling money from huge tax-free charity foundations he controlled during his rule.

Pardon

President Abdurrahman Wahid has promised to pardon him, but insists he must stand trial first.

Mr Wahid has said he believes the Suharto family may have amassed a fortune of up to $45bn.

Without a pardon, officials have said Mr Suharto could face life imprisonment if convicted.

Prosecutors say at least 130 witnesses will be called to testify at the trial.

Mr Suharto and his family have denied any wrongdoing.

The former president was forced to resign in May 1998 amid economic and social turmoil.

Activists have also demanded he be tried for human rights abuses.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

21 Jul 00 | Asia-Pacific
Suharto assets seized
15 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Suharto promised pardon if cash returned
10 Apr 00 | Asia-Pacific
Doctors stop Suharto questioning
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories