| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 22 August, 2000, 11:22 GMT 12:22 UK
Russia mourns Kursk crew
![]() Russia is gripped by sorrow, anger and shock
Russian President Vladimir Putin has decreed Wednesday a day of national mourning for the crew of the sunken nuclear submarine, Kursk.
Mr Putin is also flying to the headquarters of the Northern Fleet, at Severomorsk, to pay tribute to the sub's crew. He is also expected to meet some of the bereaved families.
Russian and Norwegian experts have now begun a thorough examination of the wreck. The troubled nine-day rescue operation ended after Norwegian-led divers forced open the submarine's rear escape hatch and found that the whole of the vessel was flooded.
Day of mourning President Putin's decree spoke of his grief over the loss of the submarine's crew and offered condolences to their families and relatives. The Russian flag is to be flown at half-mast throughout the country, while television and radio stations have been asked to drop entertainment shows from their schedules.
Mr Putin has come under fire from the press for remaining on holiday as the disaster unfolded, while Russians blame the country's leadership for being too slow to seek international help to save the men.
Many still hold out hope that their loved ones might have survived. Scouring the seabed A Norwegian-led team of divers is helping with the Kursk inquiry, which will initially focus on examining the seabed around the wreck.
The team has also been asked to help recover the bodies of the crew, but the company supplying the team says such an operation would be dangerous and could take weeks. One possibility being discussed is to drag the sub into shallower waters. Torpedo theory Norway's military has rejected Russian suggestions that there had been a collision. "There may have been an explosion in one of the weapons systems aboard, for example a torpedo, which then triggered a bigger explosion two minutes later," armed forces spokesman Brigadier Kjell Grandhagen said.
As criticism mounts against the government and the military top brass over their rescue efforts, correspondents say they are now keen to make amends.
In an emotional television broadcast, he said the navy had done everything in its power to save the men. "Forgive the children. Forgive your sons. And forgive me for not bringing back your boys," he said from the deck of a cruiser in the Barents Sea.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|