| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Tuesday, 22 August, 2000, 03:27 GMT 04:27 UK
US role over warcrimes suspects questioned
The United Nations chief prosecutor for the former Yugoslavia, Carla del Ponte, has questioned the commitment of United States forces to pursue indicted war criminals. In an interview with the Financial Times, she said the Americans wanted its forces to be exposed to zero risk, which was impossible for those trying to arrest a criminal. But Ms del Ponte told the paper she remained optimistic that one or two of the leading indicted figures would be arrested during the next year. She said there had been some positive changes during her first year in office, including the arrest in April of the prominent Bosnian Serb, Momcilo Krajisnik. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|