BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Steve Kingstone
"It is thought the court will hear from a key prosecution witness"
 real 56k

Tuesday, 22 August, 2000, 16:01 GMT 17:01 UK
Court 'order' over CIA documents
CIA graphic
Parts of the CIA messages have been blanked out
The Lockerbie trial prosecution has been ordered to use "their best endeavours" to gain access to the full text of intelligence documents for the defence.

Presiding Judge Lord Sutherland told Lord Advocate Colin Boyd, Scotland's chief prosecutor, to try to persuade the United States to let the defence see the evidence.

The defence believes the transcripts of CIA cable communications could be vital to their case.

It has emerged that the Crown has already had access to almost the full text.

Courtroom
Inside the Zeist courtroom
Bill Taylor QC, for Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, claimed he should be able to see the complete versions of the 25 cable messages which dealt with CIA operatives' interviews of Libyan defector, Abdul Majid Giaka.

The plea was made as the trial resumed at the Scottish Court in the Netherlands after a three-week summer recess.

The Lord Advocate said the editing of CIA documents, relating to interviews between 10 August 1988 and 31 August 1989, had not removed information which would be relevant to the defence.

The editing, which was carried out by the CIA itself, was said to be necessary to protect American national security and the safety of the individuals involved.

Mr Giaka, is expected to take the stand this week as a key witness.

He now lives in the US under the federal witness protection programme.

'Vital' for cross-examination

He has asked to be hidden from the court by screens and electronic voice distortion.

Mr Taylor showed the court copies of the documents as provided to the defence.

Trial details
The two accused are Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, 48, and Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah, 44
Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie on 21 December, 1988, killing all 259 people on board and another 11 on the ground
The two men deny three charges - murder, conspiracy to murder and a breach of the 1982 Aviation Security Act
The trial is taking place in a Scottish courtroom at Camp Zeist, in the Netherlands
The case is being heard by three Scottish judges
Large segments of text were blacked out by the CIA officers.

He said: "It is vital to the securing of a fair trial for these accused that the defence is not disadvantaged vis-a-vis the Crown when Giaka is cross-examined."

Mr Taylor noted that prosecutors had been allowed to view the full text of the cables.

"I emphatically do not accept that what lies behind that blanked out sections is of no interest to a cross-examiner," added Mr Taylor.

He rejected what he said were prosecutors' previous assurances that the deleted material had no relevance to the defence case.

According to the indictment, the defendants sent the suitcase bomb onto a flight from Malta to Frankfurt, Germany, where it was transferred as unaccompanied luggage onto a feeder flight connecting with Flight 103 in London.

Witness link

Mr Giaka is considered the closest thing the prosecutors have to an eyewitness who can directly link the defendants to the crime.

Prosecutors expect to complete their evidence in September, handing the floor to the defence team, whose case is expected to last several months.

The trial began on 3 May in a special Scottish courthouse at Camp Zeist, the former US air base in the Netherlands.

The court heard in July that about 60 people would no longer be asked to take the witness stand.

It was also confirmed that a number of Federal Bureau of Investigation agents would not now be required.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Aug 00 | Scotland
Crash orphan in train tragedy
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more World stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more World stories