BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Richard Galpin in Jakarta
"Council is not to be split up immediately into different political parties as had been expected in preparation for elections"
 real 28k

Monday, 21 August, 2000, 13:09 GMT 14:09 UK
Timor leaders look to future
Spiritual leader Bishop Carlos Bello
Timorese spiritual leader Bishop Carlos Bello called for unity
Political leaders in East Timor have opened the territory's first multi-party congress with calls for unity as the former Indonesian territory prepares for full independence next year.

Addressing the meeting, independence leader Xanana Gusmao called on the 450 delegates to "embrace democracy" and agree on how to prepare for self-rule by the end of 2001.

Xanana Gusmao
Xanana Gusmao: The world is watching
"We must lay safe foundations that will sustain the very first new country of the 21st century," he said.

"The international community is looking at us. The world wants to know how mature we are."

The congress is being organised by the Council of National Resistance of Timor, a group of East Timorese factions set up to oppose Indonesian occupation.

Big differences

Voter
The meeting comes almost a year after East Timor's historic vote
However, correspondents say many political differences remain between the various groups and parties that could prove difficult to overcome.

"I don't know what is going to come out of this. But if we don't like it then we won't be part of it," Joao Carrascalao of the Democratic Union of Timor, the territory's second biggest party, told reporters.

The meeting comes almost exactly a year to the day after East Timor's historic referendum which brought about an overwhelming vote for independence from Indonesia.

The ballot was followed by weeks of violence and bloodshed as heavily armed pro-Indonesian militiamen, backed up by members of the Indonesian armed forces, went on the rampage.

Tight security

Guerrillas
The Falantil guerrillas are now a much reduced force
In recent weeks there have been a series of clashes between UN peacekeeping forces and anti-independence militiamen and tight security has been put in place around the meeting.

On Sunday Mr Gusmao announced that he was stepping down as commander of the Falantil pro-independence guerrilla force to concentrate on "preparing East Timor for independence".

The announcement was seen by observers as a symbolic move to designed to strengthen his credentials as a civilian politician.

Mr Gusmao's deputy, Tau Matan Ruak, has taken control of the much reduced Falantil force.

Elections in the former Portuguese colony have yet to be scheduled although Mr Gusmao is widely expected to become independent East Timor's first president.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

14 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Indonesia to close Timor refugee camps
11 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
East Timor peacekeeper killed
17 Feb 00 | Asia-Pacific
Shadowy militias of East Timor
08 Nov 99 | Asia-Pacific
Militia 'stepping up' attacks on refugees
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories