BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Monday, 7 August, 2000, 16:48 GMT 17:48 UK
Timor militiaman captured
Peacekeeper
There are around 8,000 peacekeepers in East Timor
International peacekeepers have shot and captured an East Timorese militiaman during two gun battles near the volatile border with Indonesian West Timor.

The man was injured after two or three gunmen armed with automatic weapons opened fire on about 15 Australian troops on Sunday night, an Australian Defence department spokesman said.


"The Australian patrol ordered the militiamen to surrender their weapons but the group fired on the patrol," he added.

"The patrol returned fire, wounding and capturing one militiaman. The remaining members of the group escaped towards the border with West Timor."

The firefight came five days after an Australian patrol killed two armed East Timorese militia members near the border, where there has been an apparent upsurge in militia activity.

Sunday's skirmish happened near the town of Batugade, about 1km from the border.

In a separate incident shortly afterwards, another Australian patrol exchanged gunfire with a group of about six armed militiamen near Maliana, also close to the border.

The Australian Defence Department spokesman said there were signs that one militiaman had been wounded in the shooting.

No Australians were hurt in either incident.

Refugees

International troops were sent into East Timor last September when the territory erupted in violence after it voted for indepedence from Indonesia.

Coffin of NZ peacekeeper Leonard Manning
Two peacekeepers have been killed
The United Nations-backed force suffered its first combat casualty on 24 July when a New Zealand soldier was killed by militiamen near the southern border town of Suai.

A Bangladeshi peacekeeper has since been killed in an explosion near Dili.

Indonesia has come under increasing criticism for failing to stamp out anti-independence militia activity in refugee camps in West Timor.

Up to 120,000 East Timorese fled across the border last year during the violence following the independence vote.

Australian Defence Minister John Moore said last week that the militia were now better trained and armed than before.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

17 Feb 00 | Asia-Pacific
Shadowy militias of East Timor
02 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
UN troops kill Timor militiaman
25 Jul 00 | Asia-Pacific
Peacekeeper killed in Timor
01 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
US urges Timor militia crackdown
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories