BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Sunday, 6 August, 2000, 13:51 GMT 14:51 UK
India accused of ceasefire violation
Indian security forces in Jammu and Kashmir
Hizbul: Indian troops forcing activists to surrender
By Altaf Hussein in Srinagar

A Kashmiri militant group has accused Indian forces of violating a ceasefire announced by the two sides a fortnight ago.

In a statement delivered to a local news agency, Hizbul Mujahideen spokesman Commander Mas'ud said the security forces had killed a Hizbul activist at Arnas village in Udhampur district on Saturday.

Map of Indian Kashmir
He also accused the security forces of forcing Hizbul militants to surrender in Kangan, Gutlibagh and Ganderbal areas.

The Indian army has refused to comment on the allegations, saying it will only respond after reading the statement.

Friction between the two sides was first felt when the Indian troops killed a Hizbul activist in Batcomb district, just two days after the group had announced a unilateral ceasefire.

The Indian army said later that the incident had been the result of a misunderstanding.

Allegations

But Commander Mas'ud is now accusing the security forces of deliberately violating the cease fire.

Meeting of a Kashmiri militants' United Jihad Council
Hizbul has asked other militant groups to join the peace initiative
He said the group's next meeting with the Indian officials could be delayed by a couple of days as Hizbul commanders were taking stock of the situation on the ground.

But he said the meeting will take place this week.

Meanwhile, the Hizbul Mujahideen has renewed its appeal to the other militant groups to support its initiative for a peaceful resolution of the Kashmir problem.

The Pakistan-based chief of the group, Syed Salahuddin, wants Pakistan to be involved in the talks too.

He has asked the Indian authorities to agree to this demand by Tuesday evening, or he may withdraw from the ceasefire.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

05 Aug 00 | South Asia
Kashmir talks move on
04 Aug 00 | South Asia
Pakistan 'linked to Kashmir killings'
04 Aug 00 | South Asia
Violent 'army of the pure'
03 Aug 00 | South Asia
Kashmir talks make progress
05 Aug 00 | South Asia
Analysis: Chance for peace in Kashmir?
02 Aug 00 | South Asia
Kashmir spirals into violence
24 Jul 00 | South Asia
Kashmir militants offer ceasefire
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories