BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Susan and Roland Gianstephani
"It would be wrong if people felt pressured to do something"
 real 28k

Sunday, 6 August, 2000, 09:13 GMT 10:13 UK
Jesus Christians speak out
Bobby Kelly
Bobby Kelly was missing for a month
Members of a religious group, the Jesus Christians, have been talking publicly about the furore caused when 16-year-old Bobby Kelly left home to join their community.

The teenager spent more than a month with the group despite his family obtaining an order making him a ward of court.

He was found by police in Hampshire last month. Two members of the group were given suspended sentences for refusing to reveal details of his whereabouts.

He is now in the care of the official solicitor.


Not many people...are interested in our message

Susan Gianstephani

Susan Gianstephani from the Jesus Christians said the media's portrayal of the story had been misleading.

"There seems to be a lot of words going around that are slanderous, like cult, brainwash, kidnap," she told Radio 4's Sunday programme.

"I'd like to challenge people to think what those words actually mean and provide evidence that those words are associated with our community.

"Our job is not to recruit people, but rather just to get the message out and then it is up to people whether they decide to follow it or not.

"To tell the truth, it is not many people at all that are interested in our message."

Roland Gianstephani said no one was forced to stay with the group against their will.

"It's not like we keep locks on doors," he said. "People can leave any time, it is up to them to decide."

In a previous interview with BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Bobby had said he hoped to remain with the group for the rest of his life.

The interview was broadcast after the BBC successfully challenged a gagging order in the High Court on Tuesday which had prevented it from reporting any interviews with the teenager.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories