| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Sunday, 6 August, 2000, 07:40 GMT 08:40 UK
Chechnya braced for attacks
![]() Recent suicide bombings have hit the Russian troops' morale
Hundreds of civilians are reported to have fled the breakaway republic of Chechnya, fearful that guerrillas are planning a wave of attacks to mark a Chechen anniversary.
People from the capital, Grozny, and other cities crossed the border late on Saturday into the neighbouring republic of Ingushetia. Russian troops are tightening security across the republic, fearing widespread rebel attacks to mark Independence Day on Sunday. The Russian military says the rebels have been spreading leaflets, warning civilians to leave their homes at the weekend, "when armed actions will be carried out" against Russian installations and soldiers.
Chechen rebel Vice-President, Vakha Arsanov, has denied any plans to launch large-scale attacks to mark the event. The Chechen website Kavkaz-Tsentr quoted him as saying the Russian reports were "absolutely false" and the rebels' operations "have never depended, and will never depend, on dates". Rebel resistance Despite Russian claims that the war in Chechnya is over, the rebels have continued hit-and-run attacks and bombings in Grozny and elsewhere in the breakaway republic. The Russian military has increased security at checkpoints and administrative buildings and tightened travel restrictions on Chechnya's roads. Troops have been preventing vehicles from entering or leaving Grozny.
The Russian authorities in Chechnya said several of their servicemen were injured on Saturday when a checkpoint in Grozny was attacked, and an armoured personnel carrier was hit by a grenade. The BBC Moscow correspondent Steve Rosenberg says that Russia's army, which once appeared to have won the war, is now back on the defensive. Even if the Independence Day anniversary passes off without incident, the troops cannot afford to relax. Chechen rebel leaders have promised to strike hard against Russian military targets at any time, on any day. Russian casualties The official Russian death toll now stands at more than 2,500, but the actual figure is widely believed to be double that. Russian aircraft on Saturday bombarded suspected rebel targets in the Nozhai-Yurt, Vedeno and Argun regions, a Russian military official said.
Russian artillery pounded the Kurchaloi district, where the Chechen rebel President Aslan Maskhadov is believed to be based, the official said. Despite a massive amount of firepower, the Russians have failed to crush Chechen resistance, and in Moscow there is no consensus about how to resolve the conflict, the BBC correspondent says. Senior Kremlin officials suggested last week that talks were under way with Mr Maskhadov. But that was categorically denied by the Russian military. The rebels say they are preparing for full-scale combat operations and will launch them when the Russians least expect them. Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Chechnya in October to restore its control.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|