BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Jonny Dymond reports
"The idea of salvaging the Titanic has been around for some time"
 real 28k

Saturday, 5 August, 2000, 13:38 GMT 14:38 UK
US court bars Titanic sales
Titanic
More than 1,500 died when the 'unsinkable' ship sank
A US federal court has banned a salvage company from selling any artifacts lifted from the wreck of Titanic.

Florida-based RMS Titanic Inc, which owns exclusive salvage rights to the ship, was also ordered not to cut into the wreckage.

Divers attempting to recover $300m in diamonds and historic artefacts from the Belfast-built liner have warned that the shipwreck is about to collapse.

Titanic's bow
The wreck was discovered 15 years ago
"If we don't enter the ship now for salvage purposes, ocean microbes will devour the ship's steel for all eternity. There is incalculable value down below, and we are determined to recover as much as possible," said RMS Titanic president Arnie Geller.

The ship sank on its maiden voyage from Belfast in 1912 after striking an iceberg in the north Atlantic on its way to New York.

The members of the expedition have reported on their website that the ship's bow section, resting nearly two miles below the surface "is on the verge of a catastrophic failure", and that the very interior walls of the ship are very thin and in a state of advanced decay.

Diamond search

The latest expedition, which started on 21 July, has salvaged items from the Titanic's front cargo hold including a cast-iron table base with brass feet, a four-sided bottle with the cork still intact, and a leather suitcase containing books and postcards.

Titanic wreckage on the sea bed
RMS Titanics says the wreck is fast deteriorating
But they have not so far located a diamond shipment and passengers' jewellery, which RMS Titanic believes can be recovered from leather pursers' bags in the cargo hold.

Although they abandoned plans to cut into the ship, on 27 July the company said it should have "the absolute right to sell and may sell items of non-historical and archaeological significance recovered from the Titanic wreck site".

RMS Titanic was declared "salvor in possession" of the Titanic wreckage in June 1994 by a court in Norfolk, Virginia making the company exclusive owner of items recovered from the depths, it said.

The company is required to update the courts on the salvage operation every year.

During five dives since 1987, the company has recovered about 5,000 objects from the site including a 20-tonne section of the hull.

Three salvage ships - including one from Russia - are currently on site, working on the wreck.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Jul 00 | Americas
Hunt on for Titanic gems
21 Jan 99 | Entertainment
Old letters fetch Titanic prices
08 Sep 99 | UK
Titanic rescue ship 'found'
08 Aug 98 | World
Going, going, gone ... down
08 Aug 98 | Sci/Tech
Titanic's last two miles
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories