BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Health
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Background Briefings 
Medical notes 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 4 August, 2000, 19:18 GMT 20:18 UK
Online search helps epileptic boys
George
George Maben-Mead will undergo surgery in October
Two boys who suffer from a rare form of epilepsy are to undergo surgery in Australia after their parents discovered the treatment over the internet.

London-based Christopher Leslie and George Maben-Mead suffer from potentially life-threatening gelastic epilepsy.

The condition cannot be treated with conventional drugs and until now it was also believed to be inoperable.

But the parents of the two boys have discovered that surgeons in Melbourne, Australia, have been able to remove the tumour that causes the condition.

They made their discovery by searching the internet and both boys are scheduled to undergo surgery in Australia in October.

Christopher Leslie
Christopher has 10 seizures daily
They will be the first people in the UK to receive the treatment.

Jill Maben, George's mother, said she cried when she heard the operation could go ahead.

"When we got the email back saying that they thought they could operate and take this out I actually burst into tears because it just seemed for the first time that there was this opportunity."

Because the condition cannot be treated by drugs doctors are not able to control the epileptic fits.

Christopher can have as many as 10 seizures each day.

His mother, Amanda Leslie, said Christopher has received serious injuries as a result.


When we got the email back saying that they thought they could operate and take this out I actually burst into tears

Jill Maben

"He has had seizures in the bathroom when he was having a bath. Whilst in the bathroom using the toilet he has smashed his face.

"The ambulance has been called a few times while he was at school because he was choking on his food."

Surgeons in the UK are now willing to try the operation but the parents of both boys have decided to travel to Australia for the treatment.

The Melbourne surgeons have so far operated successfully on nine children.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

29 Jul 00 | Health
Net 'saves cancer victim's life'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Health stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Health stories