BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Jacky Rowland in Belgrade
"UN officials believe the men are still at large"
 real 56k

Friday, 4 August, 2000, 17:33 GMT 18:33 UK
Kosovo genocide suspects escape
Ethnically divided city of Mitrovica
UN says it will no longer send prisoners to Mitrovica hospitals
Three Kosovo Serbs accused of genocide have escaped from hospital in Mitrovica where they were being treated for various ailments while awaiting trial.

The United Nations administration in Kosovo said the three fled during the night, shortly after the officer on duty checked that they were in the room they shared.


Officers on duty at the hospital report the detainees were in bed, apparently sleeping. When the room was checked sometime later, the detainees were gone

UN spokeswoman
The UN is holding an internal investigation into the case. Its administrator in Mitrovica, William Nash, has met the regional police commander whose officers were responsible for guarding the group.

Earlier this year, six other Serb prisoners managed to escape custody in Mitrovica.

Ailments

UN spokeswoman Claire Trevena said the accused, who had been moved from a detention centre to the hospital, slipped out early on Friday.

"Officers on duty at the hospital report the detainees were in bed, apparently sleeping," at 2300 GMT, Ms Trevena said. "When the room was checked sometime later, the detainees were gone."

Grave site
Several genocide suspects have broken out of custody
Two of the Serbs, Dragan Jovanovic, 50, and Vlastimir Aleksic, 54, had been charged with genocide, while the third, Dragica Peica, 34, had been charged with war crimes, Trevena said.

Mr Jovanovic was receiving treatment for lead poisoning. Mr Aleksic was in hospital for high blood pressure, while Mr Peica was being treated for kidney stones.

The suspects, who were arrested last summer, had been transferred to the hospital on the advice of doctors from the Nato-led peacekeeping force and UN police.

The UN has said prisoners would no longer be sent to the hospital in the ethnically divided city of Mitrovica.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

Kosovo: One year on
Click here for in-depth coverage and latest news
Key stories:
Nato's incomplete victory
The view from Kosovo
Serbs fear new war
Nato strikes: The untold story
An Uneasy Peace
Talking Point
Is the West losing the peace?
Is Nato guilty of war crimes?
See also:

26 Apr 00 | Europe
New war crimes court in Kosovo
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories