BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 3 August, 2000, 14:34 GMT 15:34 UK
Burundi peace plan under attack
Burundi President Pierre Buyoya
Buyoya does not like the draft accord, nor do the rebels
By Chris Simpson in Bujumbura

The United Nations Security Council has called for an end to the civil war in Burundi after the main rebel group rejected a peace plan proposed by the former South African president Nelson Mandela.

At the Burundi peace talks in Tanzania last month, Mr Mandela circulated a draft peace plan and said he was confident it would be signed on 28 August by all the political parties and rebels.

Regroupment camp in Burundi
The rebels want all regroupment camps closed
But last week the CNDD-FDD rebels rejected the plan, in part because they said it did not take into account Burundi's 1992 democratic constitution.

President Pierre Buyoya, whose government has also strongly criticised the draft accord, has now flown to South Africa on a three-day visit for talks with Mr Mandela.

'Misunderstood'

Ministers in Bujumbura have talked privately and publicly of serious flaws in the draft document, hinting that the mediators do not understand the country they are dealing with.

There is particular concern about the arrangements for a future transition to democracy, and there are clear disagreements between Mr Buyoya and Mr Mandela on how best to end the seven-year civil war.

Burundi army
Hutus want equal representation in the army
The Arusha text runs to over 100 pages, and outlines a highly ambitious programme for Burundi's recovery.

It emphasises the need for reconciliation and reconstruction, and tries to find a way past the disastrous division between the Tutsi minority and the Hutu majority.

Guiding the transition

Hutu political parties are generally in favour of the draft accord, which they believe addresses many of their grievances.

Hutu critics of President Buyoya say he should step down and allow someone else to guide Burundi through a difficult period of transition.

Mr Mandela is reportedly of the same opinion.

But the government says, only Mr Buyoya has the necessary skills and experience to oversee a political and military settlement in Burundi, and now is not the time for him to leave.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

31 Jul 00 | Africa
Army blamed for Burundi massacre
01 Aug 00 | Africa
Burundi camps under scrutiny
19 Jul 00 | Africa
Burundi talks blow for Mandela
27 Mar 00 | Africa
Burundi's deadly deadlock
28 Jul 00 | Africa
New blow to Burundi peace
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories