BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 3 August, 2000, 13:57 GMT 14:57 UK
Hong Kong 'to deport migrants'
Two injured migrants are taken away by police
Injured immigrants are taken away by police
The Hong Kong authorities say up to 1,000 Chinese mainlanders face immediate deportation following a firebomb attack on immigration offices.


We will immediately deport those who can be sent back

Immigration Director Ambrose Lee
The attack, which injured 50 people, was carried out by a group of mainlanders protesting against a refusal to grant them residency rights.

Police have arrested 15 people in connection with the firebombing.

At least seven of the injured are in a critical condition.

An injured official
About 50 people were injured
Hong Kong Immigration Director Ambrose Lee said all Chinese mainlanders whose residency cases had been rejected by the courts would be deported under a vigorous but fair application of the law.

"Hong Kong is an open and liberal society, and people can air their view freely, but only in a lawful and non-violent manner," Mr Lee said.

The dispute over residency rights has proved one of the most contentious issues since Hong Kong returned to China in 1997.

Firebombing

There have been numerous legal battles and protests by mainland Chinese migrants demanding the right to stay.

An injured migrant from mainland China is taken away by police
The migrants were demanding the right to live in Hong Kong
But the normally peaceful territory had seen nothing like Wednesday's attack.

A group of about 20 migrants walked into the immigration headquarters in the afternoon demanding documentation that would let them stay as residents.

When workers told the group to leave four hours later because the office was closing, some of them doused the floor with flammable liquid and set it ablaze.

At least 23 immigration officers were hurt, some seriously.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa condemned the attack as "brutal" and "totally unacceptable" after visiting the injured officers in hospital.

Ruling

There are some 6,000 mainland Chinese overstayers in Hong Kong claiming residency, but at least 5,000 are involved in lawsuits and will not be deported until their cases have been heard.

Last year, Hong Kong's highest court granted residency rights to anyone with at least one Hong Kong parent.

But in a controversial move the Hong Kong Government asked Beijing to intervene, fearing the territory would be swamped by migrants.

Beijing reinterpreted the law and overturned the ruling, sharply reducing the number of eligible migrants.

Critics said the move undermined Hong Kong's autonomy, which was guaranteed for 50 years when Britain handed the territory back to China.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

02 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Firebomb protest in Hong Kong
22 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Case tests Hong Kong autonomy
28 Jun 99 | Asia-Pacific
Protests against HK deportation threat
20 May 99 | Asia-Pacific
HK legislators back Chinese intervention
28 Apr 99 | Asia-Pacific
Hong Kong set for Chinese influx
26 Feb 99 | Asia-Pacific
China must rule says Hong Kong court
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories