BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Entertainment
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 3 August, 2000, 12:22 GMT 13:22 UK
US actors begin hunger strike
Richard Dreyfus and Harry Hamlin plus one
Richard Dreyfus and Harry Hamlin attend a rally in LA
Five US actors have begun a hunger strike in support of the 14-week-old strike against advertisers.

In a clear bid to up the ante, the actors' union members are refusing to eat solid food until an agreement is reached.

They could see no other way to resolve the dispute over TV commercial payments, the Screen Actors Guild said.

James Arone and four colleagues began the fast, although other union members may replace them during the protest.

"This is not about martyrdom or starvation, it's about education and inspiration for all members of the union," said Arone.

actors protesting
135,000 actors are represented by the striking unions
The strike, by the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, is the longest commercial actors' strike in union history.

Dispute

The two unions, which together represent a total of 135,000 actors, launched their action against television and radio advertisers on 1 May in a dispute over payments for TV ads.

The unions want 'pay-for-play residuals' - which pay actors according to how often their commercials are broadcast - extended to cable TV ads, which currently pay actors a flat rate.

Actors also want jurisdiction over commercials shot for the internet.

The advertising industry wants to abolish pay-for-play altogether in favour of a flat fee structure for all commercials.

However, the action has been weakened by several high-profile strike-breakers, who disregarded union rules and continued shooting ads.

Golfer Tiger Woods, and actress/model Liz Hurley face possible disciplinary action for an alleged violation of the strike.

Efforts to restart talks last month were unsuccessful and advertisers recently warned that they can survive permanently without union performers.

The strike has cost the Los Angeles economy $70m (£47m) in lost wages and support services, according to economic surveys.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

01 Aug 00 | Entertainment
Tiger faces strike hearing
26 Jul 00 | Entertainment
Striking actors receive warning
21 Jul 00 | Entertainment
Hurley 'could face strike hearing'
06 Jul 00 | Entertainment
Talks urged in actors' strike
14 Jun 00 | Entertainment
Stars support actors' dispute
22 Jun 00 | Entertainment
Sports stars break Hollywood strike
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Entertainment stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Entertainment stories