| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Wednesday, 2 August, 2000, 23:39 GMT 00:39 UK
US urges Iraqi war crimes probe
![]() Many Kuwaitis are still missing 10 years on
On the 10th anniversary of the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, the United States is again calling for a war crimes tribunal to prosecute the leadership in Baghdad.
The move comes after the publication of a series of captured secret Iraqi files which Washington officials say provide detailed evidence of atrocities carried out during the war. The United States has been assembling and de-classifying Iraqi documents found in Kuwait for about a year, but has only now begun to release them. The first batch was published on a web-site run by the Iraq Foundation, a pro-democracy group based in Washington.
US officials say there is also evidence that Iraq executed about 1,000 civilians and tortured many more. International inquiry Washington is urging the Security Council to set up a war crimes tribunal to hold President Saddam Hussein and his leadership accountable for such acts. Talks about such a move have been going on for several months and the US wants to see an international inquiry into Iraqi war crimes launched by the end of the year. Just how much impact that would have on Baghdad - if any - remains unclear.
US officials can still not point to any signs that Saddam Hussein is losing his grip on power. There are also growing signs that the unity of the western alliance that launched Operation Desert Storm has all but evaporated. 'Cruel' sanctions On Wednesday, French Foreign Minister Hubert Vedrine launched a stinging attack against the continuation of sanctions against Iraq, labelling them "cruel". "They are ineffective because they don't touch the regime, which is not encouraged to cooperate, and they are dangerous because they... accentuate the disintegration of Iraqi society," he said.
"Saddam is encouraged by his success in seducing some governments and non-governmental organisations to embrace his disingenuous arguments," she said. Closer links Other countries - including Russia - have gone a stage further. Iraqi Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz visited Moscow last week, and recently the Kremlin announced it is to restore air links with Baghdad. In a statement released on Monday, Russia also demanded that the US and Britain end their air-strikes on Iraq, and the UN lift the decade-long sanctions. Meanwhile in Kuwait, some believe that the enmity between the tiny oil-rich state and its larger neighbour cannot last forever, and say economic ties will again be possible - when the regime of Saddam Hussein is over.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|