| You are in: UK: Scotland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 3 August, 2000, 09:40 GMT 10:40 UK
Faslane radiation fears
![]() Workers operate within nuclear reactor compartments
Defence chiefs have rejected allegations that Faslane workers could be going home with radioactive contamination on their clothes.
A former safety controller at the Clyde nuclear submarine base said the facility was taking unnecessary risks by screening workers only once. The Health and Safety Executive said it would look at ways of making possible improvements to safety monitoring. Faslane workers ending their shifts in the nuclear reactor compartments are scanned with a hand-held probe before removing their protective clothing.
John Connor, from Dunfermline, has worked at both places and said Faslane was taking an unacceptable risk. "It is always possible that the instrument could be faulty and the monitor could be unaware of it," he said. "The monitor could be moving his probe too quickly, and sometimes the instrument isn't even switched on.
"If that happens they could be going home with their own clothes contaminated." Mr Connor's four-year campaign has been backed by his local SNP MSP Bruce Crawford, who said: "It is about the protection of workers at the end of the day. "They are prepared to spend billions on Trident, they should be prepared to spend some pounds on making sure that their workers are safe." 'Strict monitoring system' However, the MoD said Mr Connor's claims had been investigated and rejected. It took safety extremely seriously and had a very strict primary monitoring system which had satisfied the HSE - and everything was kept under review. The HSE said it had no evidence of contamination being spread from Faslane, but said it was worth looking into the idea of secondary monitoring. It now plans to put the issue on the agenda on its next visit to Faslane. On Tuesday, 76 anti-nuclear protesters were arrested for attempting to block the main gates at the Faslane base. Hundreds had gathered at Faslane's two gates with the intention of blocking all routes into the base.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|