BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Business
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Market Data 
Economy 
Companies 
E-Commerce 
Your Money 
Business Basics 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 2 August, 2000, 21:39 GMT 22:39 UK
Slow start to German mobile auction
German third-generation mobile phone licence auction
The seven bidders for the German third-generation mobile phone licences are still locked in early skirmishing at the end of the first three days of bidding.


The companies are being very careful with their shareholders' money and they're only bidding what they have to

German regulator
The total of the highest bids was only £1.6bn (2.6bn euros) - well short of the £20bn expected final sum.

With little incentive for bidders to show their hands at this stage, analysts say it could be several days before a clearer picture emerges in the auction, which is expected to last about three weeks.

The German government has earmarked the proceeds of the auction to repay some 33 billion euros of debt. It says it will issue new debt if the windfall gains fall short of expectations.

Cautious

With the £22.5bn raised in the UK auction fresh in the minds of bidders, they appear determined not to overpay for German licences.

The bidders
Deutsche Telekom
Mobilfunk (Vodafone-Mannesmann)
E-Plus (Hutchinson Whampoa, KPN)
Viag Interkom (BT, E.On, Telenor)
MobilCom (with France Telecom)
Debitel (SwissCom)
Group 3G (Sonera, Telefonica etc)
A spokesman for the German telecoms regulator, which is conducting the auction, said: "The companies are being very careful with their shareholders' money and they're only bidding what they have to."

Third-generation mobile phones will allow customers to access the internet on the move or watch broadcasts at transmission speeds 40-times faster than under the current phone standard.

Twelve blocks of spectrum are on offer in the German auction - bidders need a minimum of two blocks for a licence.

Most analysts expect five licences to be awarded, with the four main operators - Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobil, Vodafone's Mobilfunk, E-Plus and Viag Interkom - taking one each.

Mobilcom, backed by France Telecom, is expected to take the fifth licence.

But so far, all bidders are still in the race.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

27 Apr 00 | Business
The auction: Winners and losers
03 Jul 00 | Business
Phone auctions left on hold
24 Jul 00 | Business
Dutch licences 'go cheap'
29 Jun 00 | Business
Warning hits telecoms shares
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Business stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Business stories