| You are in: World: South Asia | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 2 August, 2000, 18:13 GMT 19:13 UK
Pakistan renews Kashmir talks offer
![]() Ninety people have died in this week's violence
Pakistan's military ruler has renewed his offer of talks with India on the Kashmir issue, after the worst day of separatist violence in Indian-administered Kashmir for a decade.
The offer was made by prominent militant group Hizbul Mujahideen last week. "It is up to India and Pakistan together to take this opportunity and initiate the process of dialogue towards an ultimate resolution of this long-standing dispute," General Musharraf said. Violent day At least 90 people were killed on Tuesday in the single-worst day of violence in Indian-administered Kashmir since 1990. The violence began only hours after an alliance of militant separatist groups publicly rejected the idea of joining a ceasefire called by the largest group, Hizbul Mujahideen. Separatist militants opened fire in a busy marketplace in Pahalgam, killing 30 people and injuring many others.
Later the same day, 19 Hindu labourers were killed at a brick kiln in Mir Bazar, in the Anantnag district south of the capital, Srinagar. On Wednesday morning, militants killed at least 29 Hindus in the Doda region of southern Kashmir. And within a few hours, a former militant and six members of his family were killed in Baramullah district. Kashmir talks Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee accused militant groups backed or protected by Pakistan for the incidents. But General Musharraf denied the charge, saying Delhi always blamed its neighbour for such incidents. He said his country wanted peace and he was ready to negotiate on Kashmir anywhere in the world at any time. "The ball is in India's court now," he said. For his part, Mr Vajpayee has said India is determined to pursue the peace process and would not be cowed by terrorism. The Hizbul Mujahideen militants have themselves indicated that they will not allow the latest killings to derail peace attempts.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|