BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 2 August, 2000, 16:16 GMT 17:16 UK
Supersonic airliner plans continue, say Russians

The Russian aircraft manufacturer, Sukhoi, has announced it's moving ahead with plans to develop its own supersonic airliner, in spite of last week's Concorde crash.

The aircraft's designer Andrei Ilyin told reporters it would cost up to three billion dollars to develop the plane, and he expected funding to come from agreements with a number of international plane manufacturers.

He said the Concorde crash, in which one hundred and thirteen people died, would in no way influence the development of supersonic airliners in Russia.

Accident investigators in France have today begun removing engine fragments from the site of the crash in the hope of determining what caused the accident.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories