BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 2 August, 2000, 11:52 GMT 12:52 UK
UN troops kill Timor militiaman
Soldiers salute the return of Private Manning's body
A peacekeeper was killed last week near the border
By Jakarta correspondent Richard Galpin

United Nations peacekeepers in East Timor have shot dead a suspected pro-Jakarta militiaman in a gun battle near the border with West Timor.

Another gunman was injured in the firefight with Australian troops.

The incident comes just a week after a UN peacekeeper from New Zealand was killed by suspected militiamen in the border area.

According to an Australian military spokesman, up to five militiamen, armed with automatic weapons and grenades, were found at least 15km inside East Timorese territory, presumably after crossing the border from Indonesian-controlled West Timor.

Trail of blood

The Australian troops, part of the UN peacekeeping force, had been tipped off about their presence by the local population.

Peacekeeper
International troops were deployed in East Timor last September
In the firefight that followed, one of the militiamen was killed and another injured.

An Australian military spokesman said their troops were still trying to track down the rest of the group and that they had been following a trail of blood.

UN reinforcements have been flown in by helicopter to help the search operation.

Refugee camps

This is the third shooting incident near the border between West and East Timor in a week.

It comes just days after the Indonesian government promised to close down all the refugee camps in West Timor.

The camps harbour many of the pro-Jakarta militia gangs responsible for much of the violence which followed last year's independence vote in East Timor.

Many countries have demanded that Jakarta take immediate action to separate the militia gangs from the tens of thousands of refugees who have been living in the camps since last September.

Although the Indonesian Government says it will close down the camps completely, it has not given any date.

Even if they are closed down, the government is unlikely to stop the militia gangs crossing into East Timor to attack the UN peacekeepers and local population.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

01 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
US urges Timor militia crackdown
26 Jul 00 | Asia-Pacific
Timor militia leader walks free
25 Jul 00 | Asia-Pacific
Peacekeeper killed in Timor
24 Dec 99 | Asia-Pacific
Indonesia's year of living dangerously
27 Feb 00 | Asia-Pacific
New hope for Timor refugees
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories