BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



BBC Wales's Ashleigh Crowter reports
"The family had to be identified by dental and medical records"
 real 56k

Wednesday, 2 August, 2000, 15:10 GMT 16:10 UK
Lone funeral for family massacre man
Mochrie family
The family at Catherine Mochrie's graduation
An inquest has heard that the man who killed his family before committing suicide will have a separate funeral to his wife and children.

Cardiff coroner Dr Lawrence Addicott opened the hearing into the deaths of the Mochrie family, whose bodies were discovered at their home in Barry, near Cardiff, 10 days ago by police.

Catherine Mochrie and her four children had been battered to death. Their father Robert was found hanging nearby.

The hearing was told that while the rest of his family will be buried together, Mr Mochrie will be cremated on his own.

The Mochrie's house
The house where the bodies were found
Detective Chief Inspector Graham Anthony - giving evidence of identification at the hearing - said that five of the bodies had had to be identified through dental and medical records.

The bodies of Mrs Mochrie and her four children - Bethan, 10, Luke, 14, Sian, 16, and James, 18 - were found in separate bedrooms of the house in Rutland Close were all wearing "nightwear", said Detective Chief Inspector Anthony.

Sian Mochrie
Sian attended a local comprehensive school
Mr Mochrie was found hanging from the landing of their £250,000 house.

Dr Addicott said he could not give the findings of post mortem examinations on the bodies because they were waiting for more results before the precise causes of death could be given.

He released the bodies for burial and cremation and adjourned the inquest until the police investigation of the deaths had been completed.

The family were last seen on 19 July, four days before their bodies were discovered.

Luke Mochrie
Youngest son Luke, 10
Police investigating the case have said that they might never know what caused Robert Mochrie - described as a devoted and caring father - to kill his family.

Mr Anthony told the inquest that officers were not looking for anyone else in connection with the investigation.

Detective Superintendent Kevin O'Neill said on Tuesday no clear motive had emerged to explain the deaths.

Police are examining the family's financial background, their relationships and the couple's marriage to look for clues.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

24 Jul 00 | Wales
Family of six found dead
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories