| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 1 August, 2000, 22:06 GMT 23:06 UK
Kuwaitis press for Iraqi compensation
![]() Kuwaitis claiming compensation: Anti-Iraqi feelings are still strong
Thousands of Kuwaitis have flocked to the emirate's law courts to file new compensation claims against Iraq for its 1990 invasion and seven-month occupation.
The rush was prompted by warnings from lawyers that any new claims must be filed by a deadline of 2 August - exactly 10 years after the Iraqi invasion. However, a senior Kuwaiti Justice Ministry official appealed for calm on national radio, saying people still had another five years in which to file for civil compensation. Throughout Monday and Tuesday, up to 20,000 Kuwaitis and expatriates converged on Kuwait's Palace of Justice law courts.
During the Iraqi occupation, hundreds of Kuwaitis and other nationals were killed, tortured or suffered other abuses. The fresh claims are separate from the compensation awarded to hundreds of thousands of Kuwaitis and other nationals by the UN Compensation Commission (UNCC). Kuwait sought compensation worth more than $150bn from the UNCC, a body set up after the 1991 Gulf War. So far the UNCC has awarded $15.5bn in compensation. The funds come out of Iraq's revenue from oil sales allowed under the oil-for-food programme. No thaw with Iraq The Kuwaiti Government has ruled out any possibility of resuming relations with Iraq under President Saddam Hussein. Kuwait's Defence Minister, Sheikh Salem al-Sabah, told the BBC that relations with Iraq were "forbidden". He said he would only go to Baghdad to help secure the release of Kuwaiti prisoners-of-war.
Kuwait has urged the international community to step up the pressure on Baghdad to release some 600 Kuwaiti prisoners. Iraq denies holding any Kuwaiti prisoners. Kuwaitis say they can never forgive Iraq for the destruction it wreaked on their country during its seven-month occupation. Kuwait's Prosecutor General Sultan Boujarwah has said as many as 250,000 cases could be filed against Iraqi officials and soldiers. Arab divisions The BBC's Frank Gardner in Kuwait says few people in the region now see Iraq as a threat, preferring to believe that Iraq has been effectively disarmed by years of UN weapons inspections. Kuwait's Gulf neighbours Qatar, Bahrain, Oman and the United Arab Emirates all have embassies in Baghdad.
Kuwait has mostly forgiven countries seen at the time as siding with Iraq during the invasion. Jordan, Sudan, Yemen and the Palestine Liberation Organisation were all considered to be sympathetic to Iraq's attack on Kuwait. That stance cost them hundreds of millions of dollars in lost job revenues and Kuwaiti aid after 1990. The Palestinians lost the most. They had settled in Kuwait in their hundreds of thousands and ran the emirate's civil service. When the US-led coalition drove Iraq out of Kuwait in 1991, Kuwaitis took their revenge on Palestinian expatriates, and all but a few were expelled.
|
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|