| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 1 August, 2000, 21:09 GMT 22:09 UK
Thirty killed in Kashmir gun battle
![]() Security has been tightened in the area
At least 30 people have died in a gun battle between police and suspected militants in Indian-administered Kashmir.
The gun battle took place in a crowded marketplace in Pahalgam, along a pilgrimage route to the Hindu shrine of Amarnath to the south of the Kashmir summer capital, Srinigar. The authorities say some of those killed were pilgrims, and more than 37 people have been wounded in what is by far the most serious incident since one of the prominent Kashmiri militant groups, Hezbul Mujahadeen, announced a ceasefire last week. The ceasefire was rejected by many other Kashmiri militant groups, who vowed to continue their armed campaign in Indian-administered Kashmir. Curfew
The area has been placed under curfew. The Kashmir's chief minister, Farouq Abdullah, has said the attack was an attempt to sabotage the peace process in the region. Sacred cave This is the season of the pilgrimage by Hindus to the Amarnath cave and the government provides extensive security to pilgrims because of the separatist campaign that is being waged by various militant groups in the Muslim majority state.
Every year, thousands of them converge on Pahalgam and undertake a 50km trek up the mountain to reach the cave. Officials say some 20,000 pilgrims have arrived in Pahalgam to make the pilgrimage this year. Army and paramilitary personnel have fanned out across the mountains to search for the assailants. Ceasefire Jammu and Kashmir has been grappling with an armed separatist movement for over a decade. Last week, a prominent militant group Hizbul Mujahideen announced a ceasefire and said it was ready for talks with the government. The group's Pakistan-based chief commander Syed Salahuddin even nominated a three-member group to participate in these negotiations. BBC Delhi correspondent Mike Wooldridge says Tuesday's shootout inevitably casts a shadow over the moves to reduced violence and potential peace talks.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|