BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Chris Simpson
"People told me they were frightened to return home"
 real 28k

Tuesday, 1 August, 2000, 15:44 GMT 16:44 UK
Burundi camps under scrutiny
Burundi refugees
Seven years of misery for Burundi's civilians
The Burundian Government says it has almost met a demand made by former South African president Nelson Mandela, that its controversial camps for displaced people be phased-out by the end of July.

The government had said the centres, set up last year in the west of the country, were vital protection from Hutu militias.

But Mr Mandela, the chief mediator in Burundi's peace process, says they are inhuman and unacceptable.

Nearly 200,000 people have been killed in the seven-year civil war.

At one time more than 350,000 people were housed in the camps

The government of Burundi says it has tried to respect the deadline set by Nelson Mandela for all the camps to be closed by the end of July.

Emergency continues

But relief agencies have warned the emergency is far from over, with thousands of people still needing food, medicines and shelter.

Mandela greets former Burundi President Silvestre Ntibantunganya
Mr Mandela describes the camps as inhuman
They also say that many camp residents have been unable to return home because of continuing insecurity.

At Kabezi, just 20km south of the capital, Bujumbura, people told our correspondent that they were frightened to return home.

They talked of continual gunfire in the nearby hills and said the camp offered more protection than they would get in the surrounding countryside.

Many of those who have returned home have found their houses looted and there have been complaints of food crops being robbed while peasant farmers were away from their fields.

The government maintains the recruitment policy was a necessary tactic in its war against Hutu rebel militias operating in the west and had the support of the population involved.

But those displaced frequently complained about poor living conditions, inadequate access to food and water and persistent intimidation from both the soldiers sent for their protection and the rebels coming down from the hills.

Even with most of the camps now officially dismantled, many of the same grievances are still being expressed.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

31 Jul 00 | Africa
Army blamed for Burundi massacre
27 Mar 00 | Africa
Burundi's deadly deadlock
28 Jul 00 | Africa
New blow to Burundi peace
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories