| You are in: UK | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 1 August, 2000, 17:48 GMT 18:48 UK
Petrol boycott filters out
![]() Garry Russell wants drivers to take a stand
Motorists have given a lukewarm response to a one-day nationwide protest against fuel prices, according to reports from around the UK.
The UK's 27 million car drivers were urged to take part in the 24-hour boycott of garage forecourts. Some garages were almost deserted during Tuesday morning, but others said business was no different from normal.
The campaign is the idea of Essex website designer Garry Russell. He wants motorists to repeat the boycott every subsequent Monday to keep the high price of fuel in the public eye. But a planned "rolling roadblock" by road hauliers on the M20 in Kent, in support of the boycott, only managed to attract six lorries and six cars. A spokesman for the Petrol Retailers Association said the boycott had had a "minimal effect". Mr Russell said the campaign needed wide support. He said: "If we do nothing then we can expect nothing in return. "If we sit back then before too long we will have the £5 gallon." Opinions at the pumps Many motorists interviewed at the pumps admitted they supported the campaign but felt they could not afford to participate for practical reasons. Some blamed the government for the price of petrol, as 75% of the cost of each litre goes directly to the Treasury. Nick Lacey, a salesman from Glasgow, said: "I do think the price is too high but what can you do? You're stuck. "I work in Livingston and I have to have the car to get me there and all around to do my job. It's just essential."
Salesman Vaughan France, from Manchester, said: "If I didn't need to fill up urgently, I would make a point of not buying petrol." Price cuts Mr Russell believes the campaign has been responsible for supermarkets such as Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons cutting their fuel prices. BP and Shell have also cut their prices, but retailers have denied the move was an attempt to head off Tuesday's protest.
"The government will realise that a lot of motorists are very concerned about the cost of petrol. "But when it comes down to it, people dependent on their cars... if they actually need to, will fill up." Ray Holloway, of the Petrol Retailers Association, said: "Overall there is no mass exodus from the filling station forecourts. The indications are that it is really rather a normal Tuesday."
Transport Minister Lord Whitty did not accept that the government was to blame for high petrol prices. He told the BBC that the last budget had been the best for motorists in years.
Mr Russell organised the protest mainly via the internet and his website www.boycott-the-pumps.com, which has had nearly 250,000 visitors.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|