| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 1 August, 2000, 18:17 GMT 19:17 UK
French Concordes stay grounded
![]() Unlike the French fleet, BA's Concordes are still flying
Air France Concordes are to remain grounded for the time being after flight experts from France and Britain failed to agree extra safety measures following last week's Paris crash.
A spokesman for France's civil aviation authority said the ban would remain "until further notice" because new safety guidelines could not be drawn up until investigators had established the exact cause of the disaster.
The French transport minister suspended flights of Air France's five remaining Concordes after the 25 July tragedy, in which all 109 passengers and crew and four people on the ground were killed. British Airways (BA), the only other airline to operate Concordes, has continued flights of its seven supersonic jets - despite a number of safety alerts over the weekend and a further problem on Tuesday. In the latest incident BA confirmed that it had to replace a Concorde intended to operate the morning flight from London to New York. Passengers were delayed 90 minutes after routine maintenance revealed that a number of minor adjustments were needed.
The extra measures being reviewed in Paris had been designed to boost flagging public confidence in the grounded supersonic fleet, which Air France is keen to see take to the skies again. The mayor of Gonesse, scene of the crash site near Roissy-Charles de Gaulle airport, and many of the town's inhabitants are among those who say the planes should stay on the ground until stringent safety checks are in place and the reasons for the crash are known. Accident investigation The investigators studying evidence from the crash said they had established that nothing was wrong before the plane took off. Photographs and video tape clearly showed that the plane was on fire as it took off. One theory is that the aircraft's tyres blew out, ruptured the fuselage and caused the blaze "The only certainties we have so far is that one or two tyres burst, [and] there was an intense fire," chief investigator Alain Monnier said on Monday.
As yet, however, the investigators say they cannot tell how these incidents are linked. Earlier, they confirmed that a leak from a fuel tank - and not a failure of one of the engines as earlier thought - led to the fire which ravaged the plane. BA alerts The search for clues to last week's crash and ways of improving future safety has been taking place against the backdrop of a weekend of alerts to affect three separate BA Concorde flights.
Earlier on the same day, 51 passengers on the 1030 BST flight from Heathrow to New York were transferred to a standby aircraft because of a refuelling problem. And on Saturday, a flight from New York was met by emergency services on the ground at Heathrow, after the pilot was alerted to a large bang - similar to a car engine backfiring - inside one of the engines. BA described the action taken in all three cases as "routine safety procedure". It says it has found no evidence of a fuel leak on the diverted flight.
|
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|