BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Joshua Rozenberg
"It's alleged that the Lockerbie bomb started in Malta"
 real 28k

Monday, 19 June, 2000, 14:46 GMT 15:46 UK
Trial told of bomb timer links
Lockerbie accused
The accused are on trial in the Netherlands
The Lockerbie trial has heard further evidence allegedly linking one of the accused and a Swiss company which made the timer believed to have detonated the fatal blast.

One of Swiss firm Mebo's owners, Edwin Bollier, detailed the way it established links with Libya.

He said Mebo had sold a vessel which had been used as a pirate radio station in the North Sea to the Libyans and had supplied electronic equipment to Libyan organisations, including the secret service.

He went on to say how MEBO had devised an improvised detonation device for a bomb in a suitcase, based on an electronic pager.

Trial details
The two accused are Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, 48, and Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah, 44
They deny three charges - murder, conspiracy to murder and a breach of the 1982 Aviation Security Act
The trial is expected to last a year
About 1,000 witnesses are expected to be called
The case is being heard by three Scottish judges
Earlier his colleague, Erwin Meister, had explained how he had met one of the accused, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, in Mebo's offices in Zurich.

Mr Megrahi, said Mr Meister, was setting up a company there with another man, believed to be the head of the Libyan Secret Service.

The Crown alleges that this company was a front for terrorist activities.

Mr Meister confirmed to the court that the firm had supplied timing devices to Libya and also to the East German Secret Service.

On Friday, Mr Meister pointed to Mr Al Megrahi as a man he "had done business with".

But under cross-examination on Monday, Mr Meister admitted he had a bad memory and that his identification of one of the accused might have been from seeing so many press photos of the man rather than from his own recollection.

'Difficulty remembering'

Mr Al-Megrahi and Mr Fahima are on trial in a special Scottish court in the Netherlands for the killing of 259 people aboard the flight and 11 on the ground from the town of Lockerbie.

Mr Meister acknowledged he had difficulty remembering details about his company's sale in 1985 to Libya of 20 sample timers with an MST-13 circuit board - the type that prosecutors have linked to the attack.

The witness repeated several times that he had a bad memory.

Wreckage
Small fragments of evidence were found in the wreckage
"It's a problem I've had for quite some time and it's getting worse," he said.

The defence is expected to argue that an explosive was loaded on to Pan Am 103 in Frankfurt by Palestinian guerrillas, not from a connecting flight originating in Malta, as the prosecution maintains.

Mr Meister first said he had only visited East Germany once but then agreed that he had made numerous trips to deliver equipment to the Stasi secret police, including a lie detector and a pager that scrambled messages into code.

Mebo had sold around 15 timers to East Germany before 1985 and supplied several more in late 1985, but Mr Meister insisted the timers sold in 1985 were different from the ones sold to Libya.

Prosecutors say the accused used their positions as Libyan Airlines employees to plant a suitcase with a bomb hidden in a radio cassette on board the plane.

The trial continues.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

15 Jun 00 | World
Lockerbie bomb 'in suitcase'
14 Jun 00 | World
Trial shown cassette 'bomb'
13 Jun 00 | World
Judges issue 'slow down' plea
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more World stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more World stories