BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 13 June, 2000, 17:02 GMT 18:02 UK
Ethiopia says fighting eases

Ethiopa says that fighting had subsided along its border with Eritrea after three days of heavy clashes.

A govenment spokeswoman, Selome Taddesse, said only minor skirmishes were reported at the eastern Bure front, some thirty-seven kilometres from the Eritrean port city of Assab.

There was no word about the situation in western Eritrea.

On Monday, Ethiopian said that its army was advancing towards the city of Teseney, which it lost to Eritrean forces in a fierce battle last week.

Eritrea has accepted a draft peace plan to end the conflict; the Ethiopians say they accept it in principle but need more time to consider it.

The United Nations has said it is ready to return to Algiers to discuss with both parties a UN peacekeeping presence along their border.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories