BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 13 June, 2000, 17:11 GMT 18:11 UK
Solomons PM raises resignation
Bartholomew Ulufa'alu
Bartholomew Ulufa'alu: People will not just sit back
The prime minister of the Solomon Islands, who was seized at gunpoint last week, has said he will resign rather than face being thrown out of office by a rebel-inspired confidence vote.

Bartholomew Ulufa'alu said he would stay in office until Thursday, when the parliamentary confidence vote is due to be held.

The vote was part of a deal which won his freedom from the rebels, the Malaita Eagles Force (MEF).


The vote is an insult to my integrity, to my family and the people in my constituency

Bartholomew Ulufa'alu
But Mr Ulufa'alu said on Tuesday it was a "sheer mockery of democracy" which had been forced by the rebels to give their coup a veneer of legitimacy.

"The vote is an insult to my integrity, to my family and the people in my constituency," Mr Ulufa'alu told the Associated Press news agency.

"I don't want to be part of the new government," he added.

The agency reported that Mr Ulufa'alu chain-smoked throughout the interview, and appeared despondent.

MEF rebels
Rebels of the Malaita Eagles Force demanded the vote

He also hinted that his resignation might trigger revenge attacks, and that the country could even fragment into different island nations.

"People are not going to just sit back," said Mr Ulufa'alu.

Mr Ulufa'alu also accused Australia and New Zealand for failing to send troops and for condoning the deal with the rebels.

"Australia and New Zealand failed the rightly democratically elected government by accepting a watered-down version of democracy," he said.

Evacuees leave HMAS Tobruk
Evacuees from the Solomons arrive in Cairns, Australia

Australia and New Zealand have ruled out military intervention in the Solomon Islands, despite the country's repeated requests for assistance, although the Australian navy has been ferrying foreigners to safety.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said "getting peacekeepers to enforce a peace with no political settlement" was "pretty pointless".

'Payback' tradition

And New Zealand's Foreign Minister Phil Goff said: "We can't impose a solution, that's not how the world works."

He said he expected problems with the "longstanding Melanesian tradition of payback".

The conflict has sprung from a bitter fight over land and resources between the two ethnic groups from the main islands of Guadalcanal and Malaita.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

13 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Solomons refused military intervention
12 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Solomons rebels offered compensation
10 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Hope for Solomons peace
09 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Ceasefire in Solomon Islands
07 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Kinnock escapes hail of bullets
07 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Ethnic tension behind Solomons coup
06 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Commonwealth threatens Solomons
05 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Coup in Solomon Islands
05 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Analysis: Pacific unrest linked?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories