BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Golf
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Paul Lawrie speaks to BBC Sport
"It would have been nice to have gone"
 real 28k

Monday, 12 June, 2000, 16:44 GMT 17:44 UK
Lawrie out of US Open
Paul Lawrie
Lawrie hopes to be fit to defend his Open title at St. Andrews
Open champion Paul Lawrie has been forced to withdraw from the U.S. Open, which starts on Thursday at Pebble Beach, with a groin injury.

Lawrie, who missed last week's Buick Classic with the same problem, said on Monday he has been advised to miss the 100th US Open rather than risk aggravating the injury.

"I have been advised by my physiotherapist to make sure the groin injury is completely cured before returning to competitive play, which requires rest and further treatment," he said in a statement released by his agent, IMG.

Lawrie said he hopes to return to a full schedule within the next few weeks and be fit in time to defend his Open title at St. Andrews, which starts 20 July.

The Scottish golfer, who dramatically won the Open at Carnoustie last year in a playoff against Jean Van de Velde and Justin Leonard, had been grouped with Jack Nicklaus and David Gossett in the first- and second-round pairings for the tough Pebble Beach course.

Thursday's event is expected to be the 60-year-old Nicklaus' final appearance at the US Open.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

12 Jun 00 | Golf
Pebble Beach draw
07 Jun 00 | Golf
Fryatt secures US Open place