| You are in: UK: Scotland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]() |
Monday, 12 June, 2000, 13:27 GMT 14:27 UK
BP launches refinery review
![]() All aspects of the operation will be studied
A task force is being set up by BP Amoco to investigate the running of its Grangemouth refinery after the latest in a series of major incidents at the plant.
The oil giant says the task force will carry out a "root and branch" review of the site's equipment, operating systems and management processes.
Sixty firefighters took six hours to control a fire at the petrochemicals complex near Falkirk on Saturday morning.
The refinery unit in which the fire broke out remains shut down and the cause is under investigation. Work on repairing the fractured pipe continues. They will stay idle until a technical and safety audit has been completed by the review team. The task force will be led by Rick Porter, a senior manager from BP Amoco's US refining system. Its members will be drawn from the company's worldwide businesses and independent consultants. Grangemouth director, Susan Caito, said: "We have experienced a series of incidents which have severely damaged the plant's good record of reliability. "This is an unacceptable situation for our employees, the community, our customers and management." 'Reputation damaged' The task force will report to Ms Caito, who went on: "I have no doubt that we need to improve and I am confident that we will. "I greatly regret that these incidents have quite understandably eroded the confidence of our employees and the community.
"They have the right to demand that we manage our operations quietly, efficiently and without incident.
Falkirk East MP, Michael Connarty, met management on Friday and said afterwards that he had been given reassurances about their commitment to safety. "They were promising me on Friday that they were going to do great things and had a whole plan," he said. "On Saturday morning, we had another fault and a major fire. I'll only be satisfied when this plant has been running safely for a number of years at its full production." He said the workforce's concerns about manning and investment levels needed to be addressed. "Until they are satisfied, I'll not be satisfied," added Mr Connarty. "Nor should the people of the surrounding area
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|